With the new day

comes new strength and new thoughts.
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Note to the Follower

You may be wondering why you are here at this page and what it is that this blog will add to your day. If it will add nothing to your day then you know you might as well not be here. You may find comfort in knowing that if this blog does in fact add nothing to your day then it will be as if you never were here and there's no harm done. Below I have provided further details for your post-blog experience.

[1] You have found something here to take with you. I have said something worth saying and you are thanking me for this blog. I accept your thanks.

[2] You are leaving with nothing. Perhaps you will try again... perhaps not. I will not apologize at this point, for it's as if you were never here and I find it unnecessary to apologize for something that never happened. Thank you for never coming to my blog. You would have been a waste of bandwidth.

Monday, March 15, 2010

A New Conclusion


Conclusion: Where often does define whom
How I got there: Today I went to the gym to work out and it occurred to me how much camaraderie I felt with the people around me. We were all there for the same purpose and we all knew what it was going to take to reach our goals. Some people were charting their progress and I felt a little less camaraderie with those individuals. I don't chart, I just keep going with as much intensity as possible for as long as possible. I guess I'm kind of charting every morning when I attempt to pull my jeans on. If they fit I know I've done well, if they don't I put on sweat pants and try again later.

I realize though that you can't just go anywhere to find yourself surrounded by people you respect and meet on some level. I was at the library the other day using their computers and found myself having the exact opposite experience than that of the gym. I didn't feel any kind of camaraderie with any single person huddled there. Everyone around me made me want to disinfect the unit I was using and hold my breath at long intervals. To my right there was an older man shaking violently and asking the lady at the desk some random question every few minutes. Across from me was a young girl listening to some kind of girly gospel pop music loudly, laughing every few minutes and trying to sing along while she looked around the room nervously. The man next to her was the only man I felt any kind of connection with as he kept sweating all over himself and gritting his teeth to keep from choking the life out of her. A couple to the right of Sweaty man and Loud girl were sharing a computer and kept laughing and whispering to each other so loudly that I have no idea why I couldn't make out what they were saying. I came to the conclusion that it was either another language or they were horrible at enunciating. The best piece to this picture was the man across the room at the printer who kept announcing every time another page popped out of the printer. I think you get the idea.

Also, I was at the bar a few nights ago and met a number of different entertaining people but each one of them later proved to be divorced alcoholics who "just started the p90x fitness program".

From all of this and more examples I wont get into here, I've decided that where you spend your time makes a huge difference as to the quality of people you are going to run into. Where often does define whom. I hate to stereotype like this and most of you reading this are probably upset because either you ARE one of those strange individuals who go to the library to use the computers or you married the divorced guy who lied about his involvement with the p90x program. Either way I respect your position and opinion but I have to hold to this. I am going to start spending more time at the gym, licensing bureau, Walgreens, ice cream parlors, the large print nonfiction section of the library, banks and carpool lots as these are a few of the places I have felt right at home. I am going to avoid public computers, fast food restaurants, bars, playgrounds, museums, Walmart, Verizon stores, Hot Topic, and carnivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment